[MPlayer-users] Re: RTSP and Mplayer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Apr 3 04:55:59 CEST 2003

>I got Mplayer working nicely....except when using RTSP libs from =
>live.com.
>
>Mplayer reports all the .mp4 streams an "not seekable" (even when all of =
>them
>are "hinted").

That's because the LIVE.COM libraries don't yet support the 'seeking'
operations in the RTSP protocol.  (This task is on our 'to do' list, but as
it's not yet a funded project, it's low priority.)

>  It also reports that famous screen saying that my =
>computer is
>too slow (which _NEVER_ happens playing files locally).

MPlayer's A/V synchronization & playback code doesn't always work well when
playing remote (RTSP/RTP) streams, and it sometimes gets confused into
thinking that your computer is 'too slow'.  (The reason for this seems to
be that, for streams, the A-V presentation time differences tend to be
larger than for locally-played files, which the MPlayer code was primarily
designed for.)  You could try adding the "-mc 10" option; that often
helps.  Or else just ignore the message; if your computer isn't really 'too
slow', then the message is nothing more than a minor annoyance.

         Ross Finlayson
         LIVE.COM
         <http://www.live.com/>