[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.90rc5 vs xscreensaver

Jiri Hofman jirihofman at centrum.cz
Tue Apr 8 01:20:52 CEST 2003

Hi,
I've downloaded MPlayer 0.90rc5 (I used 0.90pre9 before) and I've
discovered quite strange behaviour against xscreensaver (I use 4.05).

Xscreensaver is launched in the beginning of all sections:
1.
- I start MPlayer (compiled without gui) without a movie as a
parameter (so MPlayer will ends itself very soon).
-> Xscreensaver is not killed and it doesn't depend whether I used
switch -stop_xscreensaver or not.

2.
- I start MPlayer (compiled without gui) with a movie as a parameter
and switch -stop_xscreensaver.
-> In the beginning, xscreensaver is killed. After finishing of the
movie, Xscreensaver is restarted as a new process (xscreensaver
-no-splash). ( Note: Without the switch -stop_xscreensaver, it is OK.)

3.
- I start MPlayer (compiled with gui) without a movie as a parameter
(so it waits for my command - I will quit it by pressing a key Q).
-> Xscreensaver is killed and after finishing of mplayer and it is
_not_ restarted. It doesn't even depend whether I used switch
-stop_xscreensaver or not.

4.
- I start MPlayer compiled with gui and with a movie as a parameter.
-> Xscreensaver is killed and after finishing of movie it is restarted
as a new process (xscreensaver -no-splash). However, it doesn't depend
whether I used switch -stop_xscreensaver or not.

I see this very incorrect behaviour as a bug. A) The
-stop_xscreensaver switch is ignored. B) It unfairly kills other program.

I am curious, why the behaviour against xscreensaver is not such like
it is described in FAQ of xscreensaver
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#dvd ?

It wouldn't be so complicated to implement it, would be? Please, do it
like this, it promises much better cooperation with this favourite
screensaver.

Thanks a lot for attention you will give to this annoying bug.

Please, if you are going to reply, reply also to my e-mail box,
because I am not a subscriber of this list. Thanks.

Jiri

PS: Whooops! Just now, I see that a final 0.90 has been released.
Congratulation! I will test this release for this bug again in couple
of days.