[MPlayer-users] mplayer and alsa9/dmix

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Fri Apr 18 15:07:30 CEST 2003

Hi, i try to use mplayer with the dmix plugin.

I use this version of mplayer:

MPlayer 0.90rc5-3.2.3

I use

alsa-0.9.2

and the driver for my soundcard is

snd-cmipci

Here's my .asoundrc (the relevant parts):

pcm.mixed {
	type dmix
	ipc_key 98372
	slave {
		pcm "hw:0,0"
	}
}

ctl.mixed {
	type hw
	card 0
}

pcm.plugger {
	type plug
	slave {
		pcm mixed
	}
}

ctl.plugger {
	type hw
	card 0
}

I tried:

mplayer -ao alsa9:plugger video.avi

mplayer -ao alsa9:mixed video.avi

both produce the same error:

alsa-init: testing and bugreports are welcome.
alsa-init: requested format: 22050 Hz, 2 channels, Signed 16-bit
(Little-Endian) alsa-init: soundcard set to plugger
alsa-init: unable to set periodsize: Invalid argument
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

if i just use

mplayer -ao alsa9 video.avi

it plays right and uses the hw:0,0 device, which is not what i want (the
hw device does not support multiple opens)..

In some alsa-docs i read, that every alsa-program which handles alsa
correctly should be able to play via the dmix plugin (or in my case the
virtual "mixed" or "plugger" device..

So, is mplayer broken in this regard, or is something wrong with my
setup?

If mplayer is broken, what place would i have to look to fix it?

Regards, Florian Schmidt

P.S.:

debian unstable
kernel 2.4.20
amd duron 1,2ghz
768mb ram

aplay -l reports the soundcard as:
floh at mango:~$ aplay -l
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI IEC958]  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

mista.tapas at gmx.net
sound clips - http://www.arted.biz/mista.tapas