[MPlayer-users] Inconsistant TELECINE DVD

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 18 23:03:04 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 01:47:28PM -0700, Shane Wegner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to encode a movie with mplayer and when mplayer
> is playing this title, it gives the following throughout.
>
> demux_mpg: 3:2 TELECINE detected, enabling inverse telecine
> fx. FPS changed to 23.976!
>
> demux_mpg: Progressive seq detected, leaving 3:2 TELECINE
> mode
> Warning! FPS changed 23.976 -> 29.970  (-5.994000) [4]
>
> demux_mpg: 3:2 TELECINE detected, enabling inverse telecine
> fx. FPS changed to 23.976!
>
> demux_mpg: Progressive seq detected, leaving 3:2 TELECINE
> mode
> Warning! FPS changed 23.976 -> 29.970  (-5.994000) [4]
>
> demux_mpg: 3:2 TELECINE detected, enabling inverse telecine
> fx. FPS changed to 23.976!
>
> Since it seems parts of the movie use 23fps and parts use
> 29fps, what is the best way to mencode this thing -ofps
> 23.976 or without.  Will mencoder do the right thing in
> this case?

It's gonna be really hard to get a good non-damaged encode with such a
bad master... Currently mplayer's handling of interlaced source
material and filter architecture isn't equipped to handle it. Are the
30fps parts clean progressive frames, or ugly-looking interlaced mess?
If it's clean, I'd just recommend -ofps 23.976 and letting it drop
some stuff. Otherwise it's going to be hard to clean it up right...

Rich