[MPlayer-users] Mpeg2 Encoder.

Rett Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Sat Aug 2 00:27:52 CEST 2003

>Ok, anyway there is only one mpeg2 encoder available under linux, and that is
>mpeg2enc from the mjpegtools package (mjpeg.sourceforge.net). You can feed it
>with the -vo yuv4mpeg setting. This will mean re-encoding, though, so it can
>take a while. I know of some shareware windoze tools that can extract a good
>clean mpeg2 from dvds without re-encoding.

Check out the VideoLAN project - videolan.org.  The VideoLAN Client (VLC), can play
a dvd and restream the MPEG2 video into an MPEG2-PS including the AC3 soundtrack
that is playable by mplayer. Xine seems to have trouble with the PS files it creates
though.  The video is not re-encoded, so no quality loss is present.  The only issue
is time - since VLC plays the DVD, it takes the same amount of time to create the PS
file as it would to watch the DVD.  And best of all - it runs under linux.

Rett Walters