[MPlayer-users] encoding mpegs for windows users

Chris Phillips xhrisphillips at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 4 08:35:30 CEST 2003

Hi,

I occasionally send friends etc some small videos made
on my digital camera. The camera used some form of
mpeg (mpeg2, mpeg1?) which makes huge files, so I used
mencoder to reduce the bit rate to about 250 kbps
using the lacv mpeg4 coded.

However a lot of times windows users claim windows
media player won't play the .avi files produced (I
have no problems with playing them under XP, or with
mplayer naturally). Using the msmpeg4 option helps
sometimes but not always.

Can anyone suggest:
  - A better way of using mencoder to make a more
    windows friendly format
  - Better video player for windows which I can
    suggest they install.

Thanks
Chris