[MPlayer-users] encoding mpegs for windows users

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 08:42:50 CEST 2003

Matthias Wieser wrote:
> From /DOCS/en/encoding.html:
>
> | This feature can be used only with libavcodec's mpeg4 codec. Keep
> | in mind: although MPlayer will correctly play the created file,
> | other players will use the wrong aspect ratio.
>
> This sounds like "mplayer proprietary". Do you really know that there
> is *no* other player which will correctly play those files? Otherwise
> encoding.html should be changed.

That's not what it says.

The piece of documentation you quoted says that other players will not
use the relevant information. This does not mean that *no* other players
will do so, only that there are other players which will not.

I admit that the phrasing, though precise, is easily open to
misinterpretation - but given that a paragraph making the matter
explicitly clear is immediately above it, as quoted by Gabucino in
another post, I don't think expecting people to make the connection
between the two is at all unreasonable.

--
       The Wanderer, no longer sure why he's writing this