[MPlayer-users] encoding mpegs for windows users

Wed Aug 6 13:48:27 CEST 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > DRFI>AFAIK this is true, but users should be aware that msmpeg4v2 is less
> > DRFI>featureful then real mpeg4 and thus will give lower quality at the
> > DRFI>same bitrate.
> >
> > ... And it doesn't store mplayer aspect tag. Well, since it's mplayer
> > proprietary, no big deal...
>
> Are you trolling or just ignorant?? There is no such thing as an
> "mplayer proprietary" aspect tag. It's part of the mpeg4 standard. BTW
> your comment was completely irrelevant since someone encoding files to
> play on an out-of-the-box windows system would not be using stuff not
> supported by WMP.

Well, I just noted that
1) msmpeg4v1/2/3 and possibly 4 has no header to store aspect tag
2) since file is designed for WMP, supporting tag which only mplayer
   understands almost for sure doesn't matter.

Just a side comment, to note another msmpeg4 shortage.

I had problem with it at some point, when I was trying to add aspect
tags to existing avi files without reencoding and found out that it
isn't possible for msmpeg4v3 at all.

--

Vladimir