[MPlayer-users] Newbie with RH 9

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Aug 8 01:41:48 CEST 2003

john sandidge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie using Red Hat 9.  I downloaded the rpm packages (as per
> instructions for gui vs) and codec packages that I thought I needed.  I
> start mplayer....but nothing happens.  I thought that maybe I could fix
> the problem by downloading the rpms for RedHat 8.0 (nonsupported), which
> I did. I installed these, seemingly....but still, nothing happens when
> mplayer is opened.  I thought that I could delete everything and start
> over using rpm -e package name, but I get a message saying that the
> packages are not installed?????.  HELP. I think that I now have files
> everywhere, some conflicting with one another...and still no working
> mplayer.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

You have to give us more detail in order for us to help you. First off,
you are using the official packages from the mplayerhq.hu download page,
aren't you? Other RPM packages are not supported at all.

If you are using the offical RPMs, then you need to tell us exactly what
is happening. Start up a terminal and type
mplayer -v the-name-of-some-movie-you-have.avi

If mplayer exits without playing the movie, then copy-paste the _entire_
text that mplayer outputs, and send it to this mailing list. Then we'll
have a chance to see what's wrong.

-Corey