[MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed Aug 20 08:42:53 CEST 2003

Hi rcooley,

on Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:43:12 -0700 you wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html]
>

> Alban Bedel wrote:
> > The nuppel video codec is avaible for encoding: -ovc nuv
> Very cool, I will be sure to try that right away.
>
> > It use the same codec as nuppelrec and is thus quiet fast. However
> > i never tried nuppelrec so i can't tell if there is a speed
> > difference.
> I have to think that there will be...  If nothing else, than because
> NVRec is designed for recording from a TV-card, and does a good job of
> things like buffering data (for 1sec by default) before writing to disk.
mencoder buffer tv data too.

>   With nuppelrec, I can record 640x480 video and (I assume it uses) PCM
> audio.
>
> Meanwhile...
> With mencoder, using MJPEG for video is just about as
> processor-intensive as mpeg4 (maxes out my XP 2000+)...  I assume that
> is due to lack of (or poor) buffering (although any other explanations
> are welcome!).  If I use any lavc video codec (mpeg1, mjpeg, mpeg4,
> rv10, h263), and PCM audio with mencoder (even mono--even at a sampling
> rate of 24000) after a minute I get constant messages about dropped
> audio frames...  That's on a 7200RPM HD, btw.
I think there is a problem with your setup. I did some tv recording with
my k6-2 333 - 128MB. The video resolution and quality was poor but it
worked well with both nuv and mpeg1 I only.
To make I only video with lavc use -lavcopts keyint=0 Here for mpeg1 it's
about 25% faster, but the file is about 10 times bigger. However the
bitrate is still a bit lower lower than nuv at max quality for about the
same speed.
	Albeu
--

Everything is controlled by a small evil group
to which, unfortunately, no one we know belongs.