[MPlayer-users] NOVIRUS

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Aug 23 18:33:56 CEST 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:09:29AM -0500, Jamie McLaughlin wrote:
> (previously named "Quicktime crash... >:|", but got it returned :-X)
>
> I compiled the most recent source, and have no problems playing movies and
> everything else through the console...
>
> My boyfriend, however, is NOT at all computer literate, and I'm quite
> afraid of him poking around my console (hahahahaha), so I installed the
> most recent rpm (since I didn't feel up to messing with the source to
> compile the .91 gui).  The most recent rpm's (Common, GUI, and
> Default-Skin) are version .90, and...
>
> I have a strange error that occurs ONLY with Quicktime movies (.mov).  I
> can play them just fine, but they always crash with exit code 11.  (have
> not yet compiled with --enable-debug)  I can play them, and if they crash,
> I just start it up again.  BUT!...  If they DON'T crash after playing
> (remember, quicktimes only), then I can play any other movie file...  But
> if I dare touch another .mov file, BOOM.  exit code 11, please something
> something, see DOCS/bugreport or something...
>
> I've been quite busy with work, and my head is apparently not on straight,
> so, my question is...
>
> What is up with this?  Is it a GUI version incompatibility?  It can't be a
> CPU/FPU/memory problem, because I can play everything else just fine...
> Since I slapped the .90 gui and common and default-skin rpm's on there,
> would that conflict (within reason) with the v.91 source?
>
> Quite annoying, as I have no clue what's going on, or how to fix it... (ok
> ok, don't yell, I've got like 5 minutes to type this, then I gotta leave
> for work...)  Has this happened to anyone else?  Repro? (cuz it's the same,
> every time... (10x trying, and counting...))
>
> Any suggestions, or help in figuring out what could be wrong is greatly
> appreciated.

The quicktime binary codec loader has been known to have some strange
problems in the past, so it's probably a bug there... I would guess
it's corrupting its memory after the first movie is played, so when it
gets called again for another movie, BOOM!! :)

If you send a full bugreport with mplayer output and gdb trace,
someone might be able to fix it. I'm not familiar with the QT code
myself though.

Rich