[MPlayer-users] reducing size of files while conserving the audio/video quality

LGW large at lilymarleen.de
Sun Aug 24 13:14:36 CEST 2003

if you are using gnome (or even if not), you might want to try the
gmencoder frontend. It's really a great tool, you can crop with preview,
setup all (I think) parameters that mencoder has, and it's easy to use.
Great think to gamble with parameters. And it does 3-pass out of the box.

I used far more low bitrates with lacv, like 360. Of course you get
kindof ugly results, but the files get really small :)

It depends on the result size and quality you expect, I think. You might
want to scale the image size down (for 360kbit I used 320*240). Of
course, this is really low quality, than.

I also suggest to use -lavcopts vhq:.... to set him to maximum encoding
quality. It won't take much longer to encode, but with better results.

The encoding parameters for a good result depend much on file size and
movie (southpark will be totally different than jackass), so you'll have
to try it out.

good luck,
  Lars