[MPlayer-users] reducing size of files while conserving the audio/video quality

Maximo Ramos maximo at violadores.org
Sun Aug 24 14:49:47 CEST 2003

Time to reply!

Citando a  LGW (large at lilymarleen.de):
> if you are using gnome (or even if not), you might want to try the
> gmencoder frontend. It's really a great tool, you can crop with preview,
> setup all (I think) parameters that mencoder has, and it's easy to use.
> Great think to gamble with parameters. And it does 3-pass out of the box.

great tool, but no binary in rpm format, and I really can't install all
those ****-devel rpms in order to compile a gnome application.

> I used far more low bitrates with lacv, like 360. Of course you get
> kindof ugly results, but the files get really small :)

I would like to reduce the file size but keeping the video quality.

> It depends on the result size and quality you expect, I think. You might
> want to scale the image size down (for 360kbit I used 320*240). Of
> course, this is really low quality, than.

Those Southpark MPEGs are 352 x 240, are you suggesting I scale down to
320*240? I will make yet another test :)

> I also suggest to use -lavcopts vhq:.... to set him to maximum encoding
> quality. It won't take much longer to encode, but with better results.

The vhq option has been taken away from the lavcopts section (in man mencoder)
and replaced by the mbd=(0,1,2) or that's my understanding of it.

> The encoding parameters for a good result depend much on file size and
> movie (southpark will be totally different than jackass), so you'll have
> to try it out.

hhmm, and I thought I could use just one script for everything :(

> good luck,
>  Lars

Thanks for your reply!

--
Maximo Ramos           Lost in The Land of The Morning Calm

    "I am free of prejudices. I hate everyone equally."