[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] Lock up when resuming after long pause on removable media

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Aug 26 05:58:56 CEST 2003

Adam Nielsen wrote:
> This bug has been in mplayer for ages and it can be really annoying.  When I
> play a file direct from CD (either unmounted with -dvd or mounted and playing
> an actual file from the CD) if I pause mplayer for long enough, then my DVD
> drive spins down and upon resuming playback mplayer plays out the rest of the
> buffer (~1 sec) and then locks up at the point where the CD/DVD should spin
> up again.  I have to use kill -9 to get out of it, and I get a message saying
> it received the signal in 'seek'.  I can then run mplayer again which spins
> up the drive and starts playing again fine (but if the drive spins down again
> the same problem occurs.)
>
> Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I haven't had that exact problem, but mplayer will die sometimes when
trying to read a movie from a marginal CD-R. What you describe probably
isn't fair to blame on MPlayer. MPlayer was waiting on the "seek" libc
or system call when you killed it. Maybe you were just impatient. :) It
may have taken several minutes before the kernel gave up and returned an
error, so I might have killed it as well. Perhaps a more robust design
would have a timer in a separate thread or process or use non-blocking
IO calls to avoid those long waits, but I don't think it's currently a bug.

Jonathan Rogers