[MPlayer-users] Mencoder encoding to mpeg2

Balatoni Denes pnis at coder.hu
Wed Aug 27 00:03:47 CEST 2003

Hi!

I have been trying to make vcd with mencoder+mplex - with success.
You need to encode to mpeg container, than if you -dumpvideo, mplex will
recognize it, at least for mpeg1. For avi Nico sent a patch fixing this
problem to mplayer-dev-eng on 27. aug iirc .
The one remaining issue is that you probably need to specify a lower bitrate
than 2500kbps because libavcodec varies the bitrate a bit too much for mplex
to accept it silently - but if you specify a non-standard higher bitrate for
mplex it will accept it, and maybe your dvd/svcd player can still play it (my
1180+224kbps vcd could be played when I multiplexed it with mplex -f 2 -r
2500).

On 2003. augusztus 26. 23.06, mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
> On the other hand, my personal interest in this is that I want a faster
> (but still high quality) MPEG2 encoder for making SVCD's.  I generated
> an mpeg directly with ffmpeg (mpeg2video, bitrate 2500) but after
> demultiplexing, mplex doesn't recognize the stream so I can't make an
> "SVCD-compliant" file out of the streams to burn.

bye
Denes