[MPlayer-users] Mencoder encoding to mpeg2

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Wed Aug 27 10:52:49 CEST 2003

Am Mittwoch, 27. August 2003 06:25 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:31:59PM +0200, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > DOCS/bugreports.html] Am Dienstag, 26. August 2003 23:06 schrieb
> >
> > mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > > DOCS/bugreports.html] It's true - I also lurk on the ffmpeg-dev
> > > lists.
> > >
> > > not only is it true, but it already appears to work...sorta.
> >
> > I really hope they will work together on this. mpeg2enc has
> > improved a lot with current rc-release, because of user definable
> > matrices.  For me its more important that i can create high quality
> > svcds than speed and with kvcd matrix I got the first time really
> > nice results.
>
> User-defined matrices are quite simple to implement and I doubt it
> benefits from (much less requires) any working together...

I just said it was a big benefit lately, not that user definable
matrices are big voodoo. I think having the same goal (a kick ass mpeg2
encoder) qualifies for working togehter.

> > If the ffmpeg people could help imrpoving speed and 2 pass encoding
> > we would have a nice solution. And of course using mencoder to
> > transcoding instead of crude self written bash scripts would be
> > nice too.
>
> Yes, G1's mencoder sucks though (especially the muxer architecture)
> so I doubt anyone wants to work on it... :(

What I meant was that it would be nice to have just some mencoder lines,
like i had for mpeg2. The current way to go is:

mplayer => stream.yuv => yuvscaler/y4mscaler => mpeg2enc

> > For the time beeing I try to hack together a script that fits my
> > needs (or could someone extend mencvcd to use -K parameter of
> > mpeg2enc and explicit -q value ? I have a lot of small clips around
> > here i want to have in svcd compliant mpeg2)
>
> One second you want nonstandard kvcd stuff....the next you want
> svcd-compliant. Make up your mind. :)

svcd compliant I mean something i can mux together and burn as svcd.
Sorry, but english is not my motherlanguage. Further as Steven pointed
out, what the heck has a matrix to do with standard compliance ? Third:
I really don't care about the svcd standard compliance. My maincriteria
are:

- good quality
- playable by vdr-vcd plugin/mplayer
- as much on one disc as possible

If the discs are not playable on some standalones i really don't care. I
just want to be able to feed the stuff to my dvb card without
reencoding while viewing. Beside that i had never problems with my
svcds. The only dvd standalone i have sometimes access to (a grundig)
played all stuff i have made just fine, even CVD format with multiple
audio tracks, so have i to care ?

Steffen