[MPlayer-users] Mencoder encoding to mpeg2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 27 06:25:23 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:31:59PM +0200, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 26. August 2003 23:06 schrieb
> mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > DOCS/bugreports.html] It's true - I also lurk on the ffmpeg-dev
> > lists.
> >
> > not only is it true, but it already appears to work...sorta.
>
> I really hope they will work together on this. mpeg2enc has improved a
> lot with current rc-release, because of user definable matrices.  For
> me its more important that i can create high quality svcds than speed
> and with kvcd matrix I got the first time really nice results.

User-defined matrices are quite simple to implement and I doubt it
benefits from (much less requires) any working together...

> If the ffmpeg people could help imrpoving speed and 2 pass encoding we
> would have a nice solution. And of course using mencoder to transcoding
> instead of crude self written bash scripts would be nice too.

Yes, G1's mencoder sucks though (especially the muxer architecture) so
I doubt anyone wants to work on it... :(

> For the time beeing I try to hack together a script that fits my needs
> (or could someone extend mencvcd to use -K parameter of mpeg2enc and
> explicit -q value ? I have a lot of small clips around here i want to
> have in svcd compliant mpeg2)

One second you want nonstandard kvcd stuff....the next you want
svcd-compliant. Make up your mind. :)

Rich