[MPlayer-users] Which codec is fast and good?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Wed Aug 27 11:41:08 CEST 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Bill Eldridge wrote:
| Rainer Hantsch wrote:
|
| >Another problem arose with cutting the resulting avi file:
| >My son found a GPL'd Windoze program which is able to edit avi files, but it
| >always cuts on keyframes, not between them. (Knows the hell why no such
| >tool is available for Linux, I cannot get avidemux running here).
| >

| There's avicut in transcode, don't know if this does exactly what you want.

avicut / avisplit / ... are basically fine, but I experienced that they have
sometimes difficulties with files created by mencoder. Or am I doing something
wrong? I don't know.

Also, there persists the problem that it is nearely impossible to cut out
parts of a file blindly. -- How shall I guess which frames hold a commercial
without seeing it? mplayer as well as xine do not allow to show any useful
information during playback. Also, they do not allow to work in
single-picture-mode so that I can use i.e. cursor keys to move one frame
forward/backward and mark visibly those frames which are key frames, i.e. by
writing the on-screen information of the frame number in a different color.

I wasted much time in searching for ready to use/install binaries (i.e. rpm's)
for SuSE 8.0/8.1/8.2, but it appears to be impossible for all these package
makers to do that with unpatched or non-updated distributions. Even when I
download avidemux for SuSE(!) now, it is not possible t install it, because
the makers (again) used their special versions of some libraries. =8-(

Has somebody possibly avidemux which works with a original SuSE 8.2?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch