[MPlayer-users] Can mencoder write partial files while encoding?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Aug 28 22:02:04 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 08:10:11PM +0200, Erik Slagter wrote:

> > All what has to be done is:
> > a.)  parsing the output filename and locating some placeholder for increasing
> >      numbering of partial files, ( -o outfile-###.avi ) which will be substi-
> >      tuted by 000 001 002 003 ... during runtime.
> > b.)  watch the filesize and start a new one with next number, whenever it is
> >      exceeding the limit given by an option.
>
> Transcode is more simple and modular by design then mencoder so for the
> moment I target for that. Nice extra advantage is that you can encode to
> any export format/codec transcode knows of. With mencoder you're stuck
> with 2 formats and 1 video and 1 audio codec. I have tried yesterday to

False. You're stuck with one audio codec (although you can use pcm,
framecopy, or encode vorbis audio as a separate step if you want), but
many video codecs are available. Mpeg 1/2/4, rv10, h263[+],
msmpeg4v1/2/3, Quicktime binary codecs, Windows binary codecs, raw. Of
course, all but mpeg4 suck, though...

Rich