[MPlayer-users] Can mencoder write partial files while encoding?

Erik Slagter erik at oldconomy.com
Thu Aug 28 21:38:59 CEST 2003

> Does this mean that I will have to use mjpeg instead of DivX for encoding into
> a .avi file?  I hope I mis-understood. You do know that this causes extremely
> bigger files?
>
> Instead: If you mean that mencoder will learn to write multiple files and
> enumerate them, this is good news. Surely I will wait and be patient in this
> case.

I'm sorry, it's A. But maybe it still works, also for mpeg4. You should
use transcode in audio and video pass-through mode (-P 3).

According to Tilmann:

- aviindex -n -i largefile.avi -o index
- transcode -i largefile.avi -P3 -o splitfile --avi_limit 999  \
            --nav_seek index -x ffmpeg,avi
- rename the last splitted file, which has no numbered extension.

Maybe this works for you. You probably need a CVS version of less than 1
week old. Please note that this takes a long while, count on two hours
for a real large file.

Any follow-ups to transcode-users please.