[MPlayer-users] Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Kenneth R. Martinek kmartinek at ascentmedia.com
Fri Aug 29 00:49:56 CEST 2003

When I use mencode to encode what theoretically :-) will play as an
MPEG-4 file on Quicktime, I get an error message:

    No 'moov' atom could be found

Here's my cmd line:

    mencoder -tv
on:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:channel=9:chanlist=us-bcast:fps=29.976:norm=ntsc
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vstrict=1:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1500 -oac mp3lame
-endpos 15 -o test.mp4 >/dev/null

Its noteable that the files does play okay with a DIVX codec (quite
nicely!). However, I'm relegated to having to provide my users with a
browser-embedded-able and javascript-able player; Quicktime fits the
bill and serves my Mac user base as well as Windows. W$M and Real seem
to be even less receptive to Mpeg4 or have other deficiencies.

Back on topic, is there no AAC support in mplayer? Yes, I did RTFM but
didnt see it there at (long) glance, nor grep'ing man. I also vaguely
remember reading that Quicktime expects AAC when playing MPEG4. This may
add up to two problems?

Thanks much,

ken