[MPlayer-users] Commercial detection (was: Re: Can mencoder write partial files w hile encoding?)

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Fri Aug 29 16:24:45 CEST 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Fabio Papa wrote:
| On Friday 29 August 2003 14:29, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
| > Ok, now somebody will - again - point me to avidemux, but this thing does
| > not work. I tried to install multiple different rpm's with absolutely no
| > success. All binaries are compiled agains some strange libraries and
| > therefore I would have to replace a lot of my system. -> This I will surely
| > do NOT, my system works fine!
| Hmm, saying that "this thing" does not work is just plain not right. I have
| it running for much time now and it works wonderfully. There are programs
| which simply works better if compiled from source. And usually it's not such
| a pain to compile them. Even mplayer itself works better if compiled, also
| because you can get CVS versions which are more recent and are likely to
| contain bugfixes etc.. About the fact that some rpms are built against non
| standard libraries, that is rpm builder's fault, and you can't blame
| avidemux for that. Anyway, try to compile it yourself, it's really easy,
| trust me. And is exceptional to use, so its worth a little work.

Well, what I meant is simply: Because I cannot compile it and because I find
no apropriate rpm, I have no avidemux. And therefore it dies not work
(physically, in my particular case).

I followed this moment your suggestion and gave a self-compilation another
try. I downloaded the latest stable tarball.tgz (0.9), unpacked it, made a
'configure | tee config.log' and then a 'make all 2>&1 | tee make_all.log'.
I think I have made that right?

Because I (again) got errors, I stored both logfiles here, because I do
not want to post here 206 kB of text. You are invited to have a look on them
and tell me where the possible fault is:

http://www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/config.log
http://www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/make_all.log

Maybe you can help me getting avidemux working. (This is a SuSE 8.0 machine
and I have compiled the whole transcode package and other things on it without
problems, so the environment should basically be ok!

| > I also do not understand why all this GUI things are often made especially
| > for KDE. If they would be for X11, they would run on nearely every LINUX!
| Sometime it's easier and faster to use already-done work when developing new
| tools. And anyway, this doesn't apply to avidemux, since it needs only X11!

:-/   Why doesn't it compile then?  Please, help. -- Thanks!

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch