[MPlayer-users] Commercial detection (was: Re: Can mencoder write partial files w hile encoding?)

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Fri Aug 29 16:47:41 CEST 2003

On Friday 29 August 2003 14:29, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
...snip...
> Ok, now somebody will - again - point me to avidemux, but this thing does
> not work. I tried to install multiple different rpm's with absolutely no
> success. All binaries are compiled agains some strange libraries and
> therefore I would have to replace a lot of my system. -> This I will surely
> do NOT, my system works fine!
Hmm, saying that "this thing" does not work is just plain not right. I have it
running for much time now and it works wonderfully. There are programs which
simply works better if compiled from source. And usually it's not such a pain
to compile them. Even mplayer itself works better if compiled, also because
you can get CVS versions which are more recent and are likely to contain
bugfixes etc..
About the fact that some rpms are built against non standard libraries, that
is rpm builder's fault, and you can't blame avidemux for that.
Anyway, try to compile it yourself, it's really easy, trust me. And is
exceptional to use, so its worth a little work.

> I also do not understand why all this GUI things are often made especially
> for KDE. If they would be for X11, they would run on nearely every LINUX!
Sometime it's easier and faster to use already-done work when developing new
tools. And anyway, this doesn't apply to avidemux, since it needs only X11!

--
Fabio Papa
Engineering division