[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Fri Aug 29 18:04:03 CEST 2003

Erik Slagter wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>

>>AVI has its problems, but MPEG program streams are much more limited in
>>what they can contain. I've never heard of anyone putting MPEG-4 video
>>in them. What I've wondered is why there isn't more interest in using
>>Quicktime or its derivative, the MPEG-4 container. Those certainly have
>>their detractors, but Quicktime seems to be quite flexible and capable.
>>Of course there's also Matroska, which seems to be based on sound
>>principles and planning, but it's largely unknown and will probably
>>remain that way for quite a while.
>>

>The common opinion (at least on this list) seems to be that MP4 (the
>file format) sucks, apparently because it is derived from Quicktime.
>
>Apparently that is enough reason to stick with a broken, proprietary
>format.
>
>Anyway everytime it bring this up people laugh at me, so I gave up.
>

>>I don't personally have enough specific knowledge of container format
>>internals to form strong opinions about their strengths and weaknesses.
>>Usability and ubiquity will depend more on the tools than the format
>>details anyway. That's why AVI is so popular: there are many useful tools.
>>

>Which are not quite compatible with each other. So far the usefulness
>;-)
>
>BTW as far as I know there is no way to put a mpeg4 ES into a mpeg1 TS
>and let the decoder know there is mpeg4 inside :-( At least I have not
>seen any program supporting encoding or decoding such a thing.

Wrong: first (afaik)  there's no mpeg1-ts, only mpeg2-ts, second there's
a standard  way
to put mpeg4-es (Audio/Video and even more) both  in mpeg2-ts and mpeg2-ps.

In my last patch to demux_ts I implemented one of the two ways to demux
audio and video from -ts streams.

VLC can generate such files.

Nico

Nico