[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Ken kmartinek at ascentmedia.com
Fri Aug 29 18:46:11 CEST 2003

The only thing that makes me hestitant to condone MPEG4 is their
licensing 'fees'. And yes its container is more complicated than AVI,
but thats because of its Object container support - this turns out to be
REALLY cool though since ancillary data and media can be carried with
the file (captions, images, files, chapter lists, etc.).

But it has some undeniable advantages.

-Its currently the only format that could be played in all three of the
'big three' players (Real, WM, QT) (or at least that they will all (have
to) agree on despite having a proprietary alternative that they want to
promote).
-It has hardware-decode chipsets in production ; being built into new
dvd players and set-top cable boxes, video conferencing products, etc.
-It has hardware-encode chipsets in production; being built into new
camcorders, transcoders (DV->Mpeg4), etc.
-It works on every streaming server I've seen - including the open
source ones.
-All the large multimedia companies are building SDKs that can edit
and/or create interactive content for it.

Also, I believe 'divx' supports creating the 'compliant' container, and
maybe ffmeg? mpeg4ip definately does, and of course apple.

It seem to me that mp4 has way more momentum/interoperability than any
other propritary container...