[MPlayer-users] Re: Commercial detection

rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Aug 31 01:44:57 CEST 2003

Just a thought on commercial detection...  it's probably not practical at
encode time, but what about a filter along the lines of cropdetect?  Perhaps
the filter could take a filename as a parameter and output an EDL marking all
of the points  where there's a fade to black.  That would be a good starting
place, and it should be fairly easy from there to edit it to be correct.  To
be a bit smarter, it could match groups of fades that are ~30sec or ~60sec
apart, which would very likely be commercials.  2min of video after such a
group, it could output a line to the EDL to cut the whole group.  I'd expect
detection to be reasonably reliable this way.  It could be made more reliable
by checking audio as well, but I'm guessing it's going to very, very hard to
do that...

Andrew