[MPlayer-users] getting small subs from dvd

Arwed von Merkatz v.merkatz at gmx.net
Sun Aug 31 18:00:27 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 05:50:13PM +0200, Benjamin Pineau wrote:

> Hello
> by reading the man, I understood that mencoder can only produce this
> heavy and binary format of subtitles from dvd.
> Is there any planning on that ?
> Is there a tool (maybe non mencoder/mplayer) that allows to produce .srt
> or other text-based light subtitle format ?

There is a tool called subrip at http://subtitleripper.sourceforge.net/

It uses gocr for text recognition. I don't have good experiences with it
though, most dvd subtitles seem to be too decorated with
antialising/shadows or other strangeness for gocr to recognize the text
correctly. YMMV

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video