[MPlayer-users] Deinterlacing

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Tue Dec 2 12:32:21 CET 2003

> I'm sure it can: mplayer video.avi -vf tfields -fps 50
> where video.avi is 25 Hz (frame rate) interlaced video.

Well, that gives an unusual result.  It certainly doesn't need -fps 50,
because using that makes it play twice as fast.  It *seems* smoother, and
mplayer's OSD flickers quite rapidly when it's playing (i.e. the OSD is only
drawn on every second frame) which makes it *seem* like 50fps, but mplayer
still reports it as 25fps.  Does -vf tfields internally double the framerate?

As rcooley said before though, it does make the picture jump around
vertically, unless you use -vf tfields=4 or something like that.

Cheers,
Adam.