[MPlayer-users] Re: Digital camcoder

José FC pezezin64 at yahoo.es
Thu Dec 4 00:01:19 CET 2003

> > Usually I watch 50Hz PAL channels. But I don't care, interlacing is very
> > hard to notice unless I am very near the screen. If I watch it far enough
> > I don't see any jagging.
> >
> > Also, I use my TV mostly to watch dvd's, and AFAIK PAL dvd's are not
> > interlaced. They look almost perfect (Matrix Reloaded DVD is so crisp and
> > sharp!!!)
>
> It's not a matter of whether the content is interlaced (although that
> contributes) but whether the refresh is interlaced. TV always has
> interlaced refresh, no matter what you play on it.
>
> With PAL movie DVDs, each frame is displayed for 2 fields, so you only
> have interlacing artefacts for < 1/50 second every 2 refreshes rather
> than every refresh.
>
> With NTSC movie DVDs, frames are displayed alternately for 2 or 3
> fields (telecine), so you have artefacts for < 1/60 second after 2
> fields, then after 3, then again after 2, then again after 3, ...
>
> I would suspect panning/motion looks more choppy on NTSC, but
> interlacing artefacts (jagged look) are more visible on PAL. However
> I've never seen a PAL tv so I'm just guessing.
>
> Rich

I have been watching TV more carefully, and progressive content looks very
clean, although my TV is interlaced. There are few artifacts, and hardly
noticeable. No jagging, only a bit of blur here and there.

But interlaced content is different, it's not only jagged, it also make
scanlines much more visible. And IMHO, scanlines are nasty. Anyone that have
used an emulator would know them. Interlacing also make borders fuzzier.

Jose