[MPlayer-users] Re: Digital camcoder

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 4 03:38:33 CET 2003

> > I would suspect panning/motion looks more choppy on NTSC, but
> > interlacing artefacts (jagged look) are more visible on PAL. However
> > I've never seen a PAL tv so I'm just guessing.

> But interlaced content is different, it's not only jagged, it also make
> scanlines much more visible. And IMHO, scanlines are nasty. Anyone that have
> used an emulator would know them. Interlacing also make borders fuzzier.

That's quite strange then - we have a 100Hz PAL TV (Loewe) and I can't see any
artifacts or jagginess at all!  Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing?  I
have a sneaking suspicion however that the TV might actually be progressive
scan (or maybe it's just a side effect of the 100Hz) but with some things
like fast motion, you can't see the scanlines at all yet other things
(particularly credits/text scrolling quickly across the bottom of the screen)
it's almost unreadable - and if you freeze frame the picture, you can clearly
see it is interlaced, however it looks very much like a single frame - as if
the TV is deinterlacing the picture and displaying it progressively.

But of course watching the same content on my monitor you can clearly see that
it is interlaced.  Which brings me to another point - if you run your monitor
in an interlaced mode and watch interlaced content with it, will it then
appear like it would on a TV?  I would've tried it already, only the
GeForce2/MX series can't do interlaced video modes :-(  I assume you'd
*really* have to be careful to sync to the monitor's refresh rate too, but
would it make any difference to the picture quality?

Cheers,
Adam.