[MPlayer-users] LFE, where are you?

Jacob J ja.jo at telia.com
Mon Dec 8 22:03:04 CET 2003

Hello!

I've read docs, docs and again docs for both mplayer and the liba52 as
a part in my quest to get the LFE channel on my DVDs and ac3-streams
decoded to my two-channel speaker setup. The downmix seems to
ruthlessly ignore all channels exept front-center-right, which, for
most users, is good enough. But I really lack a lot of bass information
while watching dvd's without the LFE.

Is the only solution to buy a 5.1 soundcard or a soundcard with digital
outputs and upgrade to a real 5.1 setup, or does mplayer have an audio
filter or something that could solve my problem in a much cheaper way
without throwing away my current hardware? I am really pleased with the
sound quality apart from the missing LFE.

I am using Gentoo Linux on a PowerBook G4 and mplayer v1.0pre2.

Thanks for your help!

// Jacob J