[MPlayer-users] LFE, where are you?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Tue Dec 9 07:18:16 CET 2003

> The [stereo] downmix seems to ruthlessly ignore all channels exept
> front-center-right, which, for most users, is good enough.

Well, this may not help you a great deal, but the AC3/A52 plugin for XMMS has
downmix options that mix the rear speakers in, and there's a separate option
to mix the LFE signal in as well.  So it seems that as far as liba52 is
concerned, you can do it, so it must be an issue with mplayer - either you
have to find the option to do it or it hasn't been implemented yet.

> Is the only solution to buy a 5.1 soundcard or a soundcard with digital
> outputs and upgrade to a real 5.1 setup, or does mplayer have an audio
> filter or something that could solve my problem in a much cheaper way
> without throwing away my current hardware?

Well, in theory you could get the 5.1 audio out and mix it back to stereo with
something like sox (maybe) or if you get an Audigy (or maybe an SBLive) they
can reroute the audio signals (I often send the centre channel to all four
surround speakers so I can hear it better) but this will require you to buy
new hardware of course.

> I am really pleased with the sound quality apart from the missing LFE.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Cheers,
Adam.