[MPlayer-users] mencoder a/v out of sync DVD->Divx

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Dec 12 23:22:52 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 08:50:33PM +0100, Alain Barthélemy wrote:
> Le vendredi 12 décembre 2003, 12:41:33 ou environ D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> a écrit:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 04:54:51PM +0100, Alain Barthélemy wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > SuSE-8.2 Kernel-2.4.20
> > > AMD-Athlon Pro2000+
> > > 512Mb Ram
> > > mplayer-1.0.pre1
> > >
> > > Still a/v not synchronised (sound delayed)
> > >
> > > mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq -oac mp3lame -lameopts
> > > br:abr=128:vol=5 -alang fr -o test.avi
> >
> > Try with cbr audio. Yes this sucks, but it might help isolate the
> > problem. If a/v sync is fixed with cbr audio, then downgrading your
> > lame to 3.90 will probably make it with with vbr/abr too.
> >
> > Rich
>
> Thank you for your suggestion and to Nico too.
>
> With -oac copy : no change
> With: abr -> cbr I still have 1 second or less sound delay (better than before,
> now the lips are almost on phase with the sound)(I have three dropped frames at
> the beginnaing of encoding if it means something). -delay -1 does not change
> anything.
>
> What do you means with "yes this sucks" and why should a latest version of Lame
> bring problem?

I mean that having to use cbr to get good a/v sync sucks, since cbr
wastes tons of space.

As for lame versions, I've heard rumors that a/v desync in mencoder
can be caused by excessive buffering recent versions of lame do. I
have lame 3.90 and I've never had any a/v sync problems, but I don't
have many DVDs.

Ricj