[MPlayer-users] konsole freezes

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sat Dec 13 11:03:47 CET 2003

> Just had it spit the dummy several times, freezing my entire desktop and
> requiring the dreaded reset button (I read there was some combo of keys to
> try but...).

If Linux itself hasn't locked up, then pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del will unmount your
filesystems properly, shut down and restart nicely, so you should always try
that before hitting reset.  If it's just X11 that's locked up though, you can
try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace which will usually kill X.

I've certainly had problems with mplayer, but those that caused my computer to
lock up were eventually tracked down to hardware problems (e.g. when
overclocked, my computer runs everything fine except for mplayer, which often
locks everything up - clock back down and the problems go away.)

I'd suggest you try using xterm for a while instead of Konsole, in case it's
Konsole's fault.  If it still locks up in xterm it's either a hardware fault
or a driver bug - it's very unlikely (though not impossible) to be mplayer,
because nobody else has mentioned a similar problem yet.

> No problems using gnome-terminal, but then again, the first rip I did this
> morning using konsole when hunky-dory.

Oh ok - well I suggest you keep using gnome-terminal or whatever because it
could just be luck that it didn't lock up.  If it does keep locking up in
Konsole though and nothing else, then it looks more like a bug in Konsole.

> I'm confused.

Bugs like this have that effect ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.