[MPlayer-users] konsole freezes

anton anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Sat Dec 13 21:57:28 CET 2003

>If Linux itself hasn't locked up, then pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del will unmount your
>filesystems properly, shut down and restart nicely, so you should always try
>that before hitting reset.  If it's just X11 that's locked up though, you can
>try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace which will usually kill X.

Cheers. I always all but play Beethoven's 9 on the key board before
hitting the MassMurder button ;-)

>I've certainly had problems with mplayer, but those that caused my computer to
>lock up were eventually tracked down to hardware problems (e.g. when
>overclocked, my computer runs everything fine except for mplayer, which often
>locks everything up - clock back down and the problems go away.)

I certainly do have hardware issues. Even though I'm not overclocking at
all it just overheats and cuts out when I do any encoding (under doze or
linux), unless I have my fan cranking hardcore (I finally ripped the fan
off yesterday and squirted some more cooling gel on the cpu, but to no
avail... it gets up to about 80C before cutting out!!!). Usually this
lets me get an encode in, unfortunately konsole (by far my preferred
terminal), and kde in general, seems to be crashing rather a lot these
days, even with all the bug fixes! Argh! And I just decided that I
really did prefer kde to gnome!
Cheers
Anton