[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

dave giffin givdav01 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 10:11:15 CET 2003

I custom compiled mplayer1.0pre2 for my architecure
(AthlonXP). When I run mplayer to playback a DVD
either directly off my DVD-ROM or a VOB file ripped to
my hard disk, mplayer uses anywhere from 10-25% of my
CPU! Mplayer seems to use 20-25% usually when there is
an action scene in the video so there are lots of
frame changes. XFree86 fluctuates between 0 to 5% of
my CPU and sometimes ESD will take up 1 or 2% too.

I use the 'xv' video output.

I monitor all this using 'top' setting it to refresh
every second and sort processes by CPU cycles.

Until recently, I was using MPlayer-0.90 which used up
a little more CPU power.

I've read that some people have used MPlayer on 200
mhz systems and been able to playback DVDs.
My AthlonXP system is at least 10 times faster (not to
mention the various newer hardware optimizers builtin
to AthlonXPs that Pentium2s didn't have)

So MPlayer shouldn't take up nearly as many of my
system's resources as it does. Including esd and
XFree86, I'd like to get playback with mplayer on my
system to work with no more than 10% of my system
resources. How can I do this?

I know that MPlayer can send the video direct to a
device like a TV-Out card, but I need the video to go
to a window on my computer monitor.

My System:
Athlon XP 2200
XFree86 4.3 with Nvidia's driver
Debian Sarge
Sound: NVIDIA Nforce Soundcard
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX (Built Into Motherboard
AGP)
Mem: 512 MB PC2100 DDR(64MB Shared w/ Graphics Card)
MPlayer-1.0.pre2 with 'xv' video output

:)