[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

Sun Dec 14 13:28:40 CET 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, dave giffin wrote:

dg>Until recently, I was using MPlayer-0.90 which used up
dg>a little more CPU power.
dg>
dg>I've read that some people have used MPlayer on 200
dg>mhz systems and been able to playback DVDs.
dg>My AthlonXP system is at least 10 times faster (not to
dg>mention the various newer hardware optimizers builtin
dg>to AthlonXPs that Pentium2s didn't have)
dg>
dg>So MPlayer shouldn't take up nearly as many of my
dg>system's resources as it does. Including esd and
dg>XFree86, I'd like to get playback with mplayer on my
dg>system to work with no more than 10% of my system
dg>resources. How can I do this?

I don't understand your problem. Uses 30%, so what? I use hqdn3d in my
filter chain and software scaling on my athlon, and it uses 2-3 times
more cpu, but there is no problem with it. What do you prefer, to have
low cpu usage or have quality video? People who were playing dvds on 200
mhz systems were playing them with considerable lower quality and video
was jerking in complex scenes.

Of course you can do that too, but you have powerful cpu for some
reason, no? So use its power to make video better.

--

Vladimir