[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 14 16:43:09 CET 2003

dave giffin wrote:
> So MPlayer shouldn't take up nearly as many of my
> system's resources as it does.

This is debatable. A couple of years ago, DVD playback on my 700MHz
Athlon with xine was so bad I had to buy a separate DVD player. Nowadays
with mplayer it only takes around 60% CPU, and I consider myself lucky.

 >                                 Including esd and
> XFree86, I'd like to get playback with mplayer on my
> system to work with no more than 10% of my system
> resources. How can I do this?

> Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX (Built Into Motherboard
> AGP)

You lucky lucky bastard. Since you have a GeForce4, you can compile with
--enable-xvmc and use the XvMC extension. According to some reports,
this reduces CPU usage by half. Since you're using system RAM for
graphics, you may lose somewhat, I don't know.

If I were you, I'd stop using esd. Not because it's particularly CPU
hungry, but just 'cause it's shit.

Adam