[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

HR haavroed at online.no
Sun Dec 14 17:06:17 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Nico
[...]
> keyint=132 may result in a too long GOP
> The standard for PAL DVD  is 15, but you might experience a better
> compression/quality ratio increasing it to some value like 75
> (3 seconds,
> in my experience it's a good compromise, but you should make some test
> to see how long a GOP your player can handle).
Hmm, I did get some (unacceptable) "vibration" in the video with my
settings - it plays fine on various software players. By vibration, I
mean the movie sometimes got previous frames repeated in the stream,
leading to funky "flashbacks" and "vibration" in movements. Can this be
a keyint/GOP problem? Furthermore, I could not seek in the movie with my
standalone player... any reason for this? The same, perhaps? And I
didn't use B frames, which I probably should.

What is the exact relationship between keyframes (intra) and GOPs? Does
keyframes define the boundaries of GOPs, and can/will a GOP contain
keyframes within?

> lavc's mp2 seems to be far more compatible than ac3, and it
> doesn't sound
> bad at
> all (at least on the players I tested).
By compatible, do you mean "lavc's ac3" or any ac3, given that there to
my surprise be any difference what-so-ever?

Anyway, IMHO for non-surround audio, 224kbps mp2 is quite adequate for
most practical purposes. I would guess you need a good sound setup, good
ears and be able to switch between sources to really tell any
significant difference. But there is no reason not to use AC3, since it
is supported by any decent standalone DVD players, and certainly by any
decent SW player. It all depends on the source media, I guess, which
compression/format is "right" or "neccecary".

> I suggest you to remux the mpeg file you get out of  mplayer with
> dvb-mplex (in package libdvb-0.5.3) that you can find here:
> www.metzlerbros.de
Any particular reason for preferring this over mjpegtools mplex? Any
reference on this?

HR