[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 15 02:27:26 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 04:45:53PM -0800, rcooley wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:24:12 +0800
> ephemeron at softhome.net wrote:
>

> > But what's the benefit of using esd over using raw oss or alsa?
> >
> Multiple applications, simultaneously using audio output.
>
> Hearing sound, over the network, from applications running on remote
> systems.

Sound isn't supposed to come from "applications". It's supposed to
come from music/movies[/games?], telephony/communications systems,
etc. If I wanted to hear a quack when I hit the ok button I'd use a
mac...

BTW, all modern soundcards support multiple opens, so esd/nas is
really only useful for remote apps. And I don't see the sense in
running your movie player or game remotely, since it will be
incredibly slow and inefficient...

Rich