[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 15 03:01:51 CET 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:27:26 -0500
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> Sound isn't supposed to come from "applications". It's supposed to
> come from music/movies[/games?], telephony/communications systems,
Yes, well MPlayer is an application.  XMMS is an application.  Etc.

> BTW, all modern soundcards support multiple opens,
Well then, why can't two OSS/ALSA apps run at the same time?  I've got
plenty of modern sound cards, and the same old one-device at-a-time
limitation.

> so esd/nas is
> really only useful for remote apps. And I don't see the sense in
> running your movie player or game remotely
I take it you don't do (graphical) remote access very often.

I'm continually grateful that the survival of programs and features on
Unix is not dependant on weather one person sees it as "useful".