[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

HR haavroed at online.no
Mon Dec 15 14:41:25 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Andreas
[...]
> > In MPlayer source:  TOOLS/mencvcd
>
> That script takes far too long and doesn't use mplayer's new
> mpeg capabilities. Either use mplayer's native support for
> mpeg (which is at its start at this point I think, only CVS,
> etc) or use transcode.
>
> This, for example, for a 16:9 widescreen svcd:
> #!/bin/bash
> transcode -i "$1" -V -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -F 4,"-4 2 -2 1" -Z
> 480x480 -E 44100 -b 224 --export_asr 3 -o "$1"
> mplex -f 4 "$1.m2v" "$1.mpa" -o "$1.mpg"
>
> Takes about 80min to convert 44min of XviD input video on a
> P4 2.4GHz. mencvcd took
> the whole night.
Exactly how did you call mencvcd? It's hard to compare just by stating
one took longer than the other, when they're operating with completely
different options... They both use mpeg2enc and mp2enc, so given the
same options, one will most likely be exactly as slow/fast as the other.
Besides, AFAICS the above transcodes a "standard SVCD", while mencvcd
produces a "non-standard SVCD" unless you specified otherwise. Don't
know what kind of denoising and yuvscaling transcode does, though, so
mencvcd might be slowed down by that too. So, depending on your mencvcd
commandline, the comparison might be meaningless. But transcoding is
definately an option, as suggested in a previous post
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-December/040709.html.

What's the difference between mjpegtools mpeg2enc and mencoder lavc
mpeg2video?

HR