[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Mon Dec 15 14:54:39 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 02:41:25PM +0100, HR wrote:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > transcode -i "$1" -V -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -F 4,"-4 2 -2 1" -Z
> > 480x480 -E 44100 -b 224 --export_asr 3 -o "$1"
> > mplex -f 4 "$1.m2v" "$1.mpa" -o "$1.mpg"
> >
> > Takes about 80min to convert 44min of XviD input video on a
> > P4 2.4GHz. mencvcd took
> > the whole night.

> Exactly how did you call mencvcd? It's hard to compare just by stating

I didn't use any strange options, because I was actually overwhelmed by it :)
So I basically copied the example at the end of the --help text, something
like:

mencvcd teneriffa teneriffa.avi

At most I added some widescreen option, since my tv is 16:9.

> one took longer than the other, when they're operating with completely
> different options... They both use mpeg2enc and mp2enc, so given the

Actually, there is one thing that I remembered and could be the key:
mplayer was compiled with cpu-runtime-detection, while transcode and
mjpegtools were compiled for pentium4 and everything else they could
detect on my setup.

> same options, one will most likely be exactly as slow/fast as the other.
> Besides, AFAICS the above transcodes a "standard SVCD", while mencvcd
> produces a "non-standard SVCD" unless you specified otherwise. Don't

My dvd player doesn't cope very well with non-standard svcds, unfortunately
(philips q50).

> What's the difference between mjpegtools mpeg2enc and mencoder lavc
> mpeg2video?

I tried once use mencoder to generate a mpg file, but it didn't work: vcdimager
didn't recognize it and even hinted that it might be an avi file instead.
This was with mencoder pre1 or pre2. Is this feature OK in pre3 or still only
in CVS?