[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

romildo at uber.com.br romildo at uber.com.br
Mon Dec 15 16:17:13 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 02:41:25PM +0100, HR wrote:
> > [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Andreas
> [...]
> > > In MPlayer source:  TOOLS/mencvcd
> >
> > That script takes far too long and doesn't use mplayer's new
> > mpeg capabilities.
[...]
> > [transcode] Takes about 80min to convert 44min of XviD input
> > video on a P4 2.4GHz. mencvcd took
> > the whole night.
> Exactly how did you call mencvcd? It's hard to compare just by stating
> one took longer than the other, when they're operating with completely
> different options... They both use mpeg2enc and mp2enc, so given the
> same options, one will most likely be exactly as slow/fast as the other.

I have experimented both mencvcd and transcode to encode for SVCD and
have always found mencvcd slower than transcode. mencvcd at least
takes twice the time of transcode in converting to mpeg2. While
experimenting with them, I have made sure that in both mpeg2enc uses
the same parameters for encoding.

mencvcd calls mplayer once to dump the audio stream in pcm format
and the video stream in yuv4mpeg format. The dumped video stream
is then piped at least to yuvscaler and to mpeg2enc. Later the pcm
audio stream is encoded to mp2. Finally the encoded video and audio
streams are multiplexed and the CD images are created.

With transcode the video stream is passed to mpeg2enc using a specific
export module. Similarly the audio stream can be passed to toolame
using an export module.

Maybe the use of export modules and the conversion to YUV of transcode
is making the difference.

Romildo