[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

mpierce mrpierce at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 17 00:56:46 CET 2003

Thanks to everyone who replied to this and I'll try some of the cml
options that have been offered.

I did find this web page which offered a detailed guide to DVD ripping
and transcoding with Linux using both transcode and mencoder.
http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/single/index.html#software

I used the transcode method outlined with complete success 1st time
around and the resulting Alien SVCD file burned to an old CD-RW using
K3B played under mplayer, xine and on my Pioneer DV-466-K player without
any problems.

It required that I install DVD-rip and that was it!

My system is Libranet 2.8 (Debian sarge) and is heavily modified. I use
the following tools:
transcode      	0.6.11-0.0
video-dvdrip   	0.50.16-0.0	#accepts dvd or avi as input
libdvdread2    	0.9.3-2
libdvdread3    	0.9.4-3
libdvdread3-dev 0.9.4-3
libdvdcss2     1.2.8-1
libdvdcss0     0.0.3-sarge8
cdrdao         1.1.7-3
cdrecord       2.0+a19-2
mkisofs        2.0+a19-2

I will say that I was very disappointed in ripmake, ripmake 1.36-0.0,
which touts that it can convert avi to svcd but failed every time with a
broken pipe while using transcode (despite several emails to their
attention, the developers never replied). I'll definitely be removing
their software from the system.

I'll next try to use an existing avi as input for full conversion to
svcd. Should be easy as dvdrip gave the output for using transcode when
I pressed ctrl+t. While in dvdrip, on the transcode tab, under container
options, select container MPEG to produce svcd video files.

Thanks again and hope my blurp helps someone else.
---