[MPlayer-users] NOVIRUS To be flame or not to be...

Zorg kmaterka at wp.pl
Mon Dec 22 20:01:55 CET 2003

W liście z sob, 20-12-2003, godz. 15:11, Adam Nielsen pisze:
> > Hi, I haven't any problem with MPlayer, no reques, bug report, but I
> > send this letter. Why?
> > On mplayerhq.hu page 2003.12.18 was posted a news, that servers OS was
> > reinstaled. OK, you install Slackware - I understand, Debian Woody is
> > very old, Arpi known Slackware, etc. But why, WHY you write, that
> > "Debian sucks"??!!!
>
> Just a guess, but perhaps they wrote it because they don't like Debian? ;-)
> They gave plenty of reasons on their web page.
No, becouse I VERY don't like, when someone said opinion in this form.
If someone will say that Debian is poor becouse (...) without "sucking",
"fucking" etc I wont be angry. I even don't like when peole say that
windows is bad in all fields without proving it.

> > I understand that you don't like Debian (I e.g. don't like RedHat), but this
> > is topic to start FLAMEWAR! This news is very silly and childish.
>
> It's not a topic to start a flamewar, they're expressing an opinion and they
> have justified it.  You obviously don't agree with it, and I'm sure you're
> not alone, but by refusing to accept their opinion it is you who is being
> silly and childish, not them.
You missunderstood me, don't refusing to accept their opinion, but dont'
accept word "suck". This can offend some people. I want only culture.

> > Some time ago in documentation was written that nVidias drivers sucks,
> > <IGNORE THIS> but I didn't noticed any problem!!</IGNORE>. G_c_c 2,96,
> > C++, threads, GUI, binary distribution (...) sucks (I know that many of
> > this is true, but it's only example).
> > And now Debian! What wrong with you?
>
> Evidentally they have a reason for their opinion of Debian, they wouldn't say
> it "sucks" purely because they've got nothing better to do.
Yes, maybe they have reasons, but I repeat: word "suck" is not proper.

> > So I can say that Slackware sucks becouse it doesn't have package
> > system (TGZ - hmmm) have few packages (only one CD!), serius update system,
> > blablabla...
>
> Slackware does actually have a package system, but you dislike it simply
> because it stores the packages as standard .tgz files instead of a custom
> format like .rpm?  Personally I don't like any package management systems
> (you just can't beat building from source ;-)) but that's beside the point.
> If you use packages a lot, and you choose a distro based on its package
> management system then yes, you are entitled to say that Slackware sucks
> because you do not like the way it deals with packages.  That doesn't make it
> true, not everyone will agree with you, but after all, it is only your
> personal opinion, and you are entitled to it.
Heh? I didn't said that I dislike Slackware, this was only examle (maybe
stupid). I don't care about Slackwares package system, I use another
distro. Forget..

> > Stop with this stupid quarrels! Expecialy Arpi should be wiser, so he
> > said (in docs) to stop flaming on mailing group. But people are changing
> > ;-((
>
> Yes, people are changing and Arpi is becoming wiser, which is why he switched
> to Slackware (sorry, couldn't resist ;-))
>
> > <FLAME> So, why Debian sucks? Slackware sucks!!</FLAME>
>
> The difference is, they have many reasons for disliking Debian.  They may or
> may not be correct, but at least they have given a reason.  Your only reason
> for disliking Slackware seems to be because someone said it's better than
> your favourite distro...
No, I use sentense "S.. suck" to mark a problem - yes, quarrels are
serious problem. Instead of to quarrel we can to co-operate. But this is
another topic...

> > Ehhh, it's sad... ;-(( Think about this, please.
>
> Sure did ;-)  Just FYI, when someone says something sucks, it's usually
> because they've had a bad experience with it.  Instead of telling them
> they're wrong and it really is good despite all the problems they've had with
> it, you should instead be grateful that those problems haven't affected you
> and that you still think it's great.
Maybe i misunderstand word "suck", I still think, that it is offensive.
And my problem is only about it, not with fact that someone said, that
sth suck.

i think this is not EOT - discusion is still open for ALL

And another think is that I poorly speak English (in my opinion), so I
can't say, what I think. In my native language is hard to say this, so
how can I say this properly in english? Sorry for all my mistakes.

PS. Marry Christmas and Happy New Year ;-)) (and less "sucking" ;-)))

--
Zorg <kmaterka at wp.pl>