[MPlayer-users] NOVIRUS To be flame or not to be...

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Tue Dec 23 03:13:26 CET 2003

> If someone will say that Debian is poor becouse (...) without "sucking",
> "fucking" etc I wont be angry

Now *that* is offensive ;-)  Many people find "f**k" offensive, but that word
is completely unrelated to "suck."

> Maybe i misunderstand word "suck", I still think, that it is offensive.

I think that must be the problem, because saying something sucks is certainly
not meant to be offensive - the word is actually used quite commonly, and if
it was offensive at one stage it certainly isn't any more.  It's just a
generic term for saying something is bad, doesn't work, is annoying, etc.
Instead of saying what's specifically wrong with it, you can say it sucks,
meaning everything's wrong with it ;-)

For example, instead of saying "This movie is boring, it has a poor storyline
and the characters aren't very well developed" most people find it easier
just to say "This movie sucks!"  It's not meant to be rude or offensive
(unlike f**k) and nobody would be offended if you said it (except perhaps for
the people who made the movie!)

> And another think is that I poorly speak English (in my opinion), so I
> can't say, what I think.

Well I think I understand you now, that you were offended by the usage of that
word.  But I can assure you, it wasn't meant to offend anyone, it was merely
used to voice annoyance at Debian (switching distros is a lot of work, so you
can imagine how annoyed they'd be if there was no other way around their
problem.)  Perhaps you did misunderstand the meaning of "suck", but it is a
harmless word so next time you see it, please don't be offended by it ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.