[MPlayer-users] How to pause mencoder

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Dec 24 19:16:42 CET 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:40:31 -0800
Geoffrey Espin <espin at idiom.com> wrote:

> > Dont send such patches to -users, read DOCS/tech/patches.txt
>
> patches.txt does not say: don't send to -users list.
>
> Sorry, these are not polished gems.  These are hacks to get the job
> done.  I have no expecation of them being incorporated.  Maybe some
> ideas will germinate.

Oops, sorry, i misunderstood your intentions.

> > > * mencoder checks input: q-quit, i<n> switch video input (0-3)
> > rejected. I dont see any need for such a hack
>
> The use of kill/nice with mencoder is clumsy at best.  Imagine if
> that was the User Interface for mplayer?  Hah!  I look forward to
> gmencoder one day.  :-)

Well, gmencoder actualy already exists. it's a GTK frontend/wrapper
to mencoder. :)

> > > * added sub.txt support (real-time subtitles for use with mencoder)
> > real time subtitles ?
>
> Generated on the fly by the program running mencoder, e.g.  if using
> live TV or security camera then insert time-stamp and other inputs.
> I used to use ffmpeg with its -vhook drawtext.so which had "%c" for
> inserting clock time on video.  But mencoder's subtitles are far better.

That's a nice idea, have to keep that in mind for G2.

> > > * get_time_pos: prints "ANS_TIME=" the number of seconds in the current file
> > dont we have somthing like this already ?
> I'll admit I'm not sure why we need a floating point version, but why not
> have sub-second offset to frames?
> > > * get_url: prints "ANS_URL=" the url of the current file
> > i dont see any sense in this command

Could you send those patches separatly to -dev-eng ?
They sound nice enough to get included.

> When you're manipulating mplayer to move around in a list of files,
> you need to know where you are (imagine with -loop 0 and -fixed-vo)!
> I believe this patch was submitted _properly_ (and not by me) to
> -dev-eng last summer, but was rejected.

What was the reason ?

> There were 15 posts that said the same thing: use kill/nice.  My
> post took the novel approach of suggesting that a small change to
> mencoder to watch its standard input would be a Good Thing.
> Sorry for all the other unwanted noise.

Well, there is not much noise here, at least not in this mail.
I rather talk about new features and what could be done better,
than about "why doesn't mplayer play this file ?"

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu