[MPlayer-users] Error messages when encoding HDTV

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Fri Dec 26 03:23:28 CET 2003

Wow, that explains a lot ;-)  Thanks!

> So if a player is geared towards MP at ML then it will complain when given a
> MP at HL stream

That's what I was thinking it was, I just couldn't remember what the MP at ML
meant.

> On my nvidia 5200 I use '-vc ffmpeg12mc' and the clip plays smoothly and
> without dropping any frames (and uses almost no cpu time since the decoder
> in the video card is doing most of the work).

Oooh, I like that idea.  Is there any special set up required for that to
work? (drivers, etc.)  Can it hardware decode full HDTV 1080i then in
realtime?  That would be *very* nice!

> I was using a Matrox card until a few weeks ago but those all have a Xv
> overlay of only 1024x1024 where the nvidia GF4 and up are around 2048x2048.

Yes, I was pretty sure they'd enlarged the overlay after the GF2, but
surprisingly enough xvinfo reports my overlay as 2048x2048 however if I try
to display anything wider than ~1300 pixels the picture is very unstable.

> HDTV resolution in software only playback is slow even on a Athlon 2800
> (well, it's a dual but that doesn't matter for this).

Apparently you need around 3GHz to be able to decode it in realtime!  It'd be
*really* nice if a video card could do it for you.  Have you tried it with
mencoder?  Can you use the video card's hardware decoding if you want to
convert the MPEG-2 stream into something else?

Cheers,
Adam.