[MPlayer-users] Re: recomended components for mplayer (D Richard Felker III)

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Sat Jan 4 00:21:54 CET 2003

On Fri,  3 Jan 2003 14:19:42 -0800 (PST) "Dean S. Messing"
<deanm at sharplabs.com> wrote:

Hi

>            "Oh.  Well that might be problem.  You see, MPLayer doesn't
>             do so well on the Nvidia card."

I don't see any problems with my pc and its nvidia card. Anyway even if xv
didn't work, many people using nvidia cards are "tech-fashion-victims" and
have big enough CPUs to actually display a DVD using x11 vo.

>            "That's odd. The Windows Media Player doesn't seem to have
>             any problems."  Oh well.  Maybe some other time ...?

The guy you describe here is typically the guy that doesn't give a fuck
How It Works and even if he tried linux, he would prompty go back to
windows screaming that linux isn't usable.

>            (Opportunity Lost).

Advocating people doesn't work, at least not this gentle "i'll help you"
way. You have to be /cruel/ about the whole bunch of things they can't do
using proprietary software, long enough until they decide by themselves to
switch to linux; because then they'll have enough motivation to read some
docs and try to understand.

--
Colin
Sorry, it's late ;)